Monday, January 18, 2010

4th and Done

For 18 weeks now, Mondays have given football fans a day of heightened emotional exhaustion. Compounding the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat with an already tedious weekday that's typically characterized by high stress levels at the workplace. After mixing in an argument with your spouse, getting cut off in traffic by a teenager on their cell phone, and a sprinkle of unruly customers, "Overreaction Mondays" have given fans an opportunity to vent.

Message boards, chat rooms, talk radio, neighborhood bars, office water coolers, barbershops, etc...

No matter where you go on Monday, you'll be lucky to make it to lunch without hearing the chatter about yesterday's game.

For Dallas Cowboys fans, it's over.

Monday was your last chance to lie on the couch and tell Dr. Football what exactly has been bothering you since Brett Favre threw his 4th TD pass to humiliate your team the day before. I've gotta be honest, I couldn't even eat anything after that game. I found myself munching on some Doritos around 6 pm and finally able to slurp down some chicken noodle soup before bed. My bottom lip quivered and my eyes watered all night (this might have been caused by the tap water I used as contact solution, not a good idea). Favre had ripped my heart out like Kano's fatality move from Mortal Kombat.

Because of this unknown complex that I'm suffering from, I'm not getting into any specifics about the game. Ok, ok...maybe just one.

Let me paint the picture for you....

On the Cowboys first possession of the game the Cowboy offense moved the ball from just shy of their 20-yard line to the Minnesota 32-yard line and didn't show any signs of slowing down. Minnesota looked as if they were laboring against the run and Felix Jones had already squirted through for a couple of 8 to 10-yard carries. Even Miles Austin had a key 7-yard carry to convert a key third down situation.

Cowboys kicker, Shawn Suisham starts trotting out onto the field to attempt a 49-yard FG on a 4th and 1 situation...

A Field Goal?? Seriously, Wade?? On 4th and ONE?? With the score 0-0??

Did I mention that our kicker was 7-13 for his career kicking inside of domes?

It's impossible to pinpoint where everything went wrong for the Cowboys in such a lopsided game. If it wasn't Tony Romo, who looked like Willie Beamon in Any Given Sunday after he'd put himself before the team and his offensive line refused to block for him. Or our porous secondary who was torched by Jerry, I mean Sydney, Rice, for not one, not two, but THREE touchdowns. Or maybe Red Jesus and his play calling on offense? This is all fair game on Overreaction Monday, but my question goes to Wade Phillips...

What happened to being aggressive and pulling out all the stops in a must win game on the road?? Why didn't you go for it on 4th and 1?

That's it. There's nothing else to say.

In my opinion, this season was a success. We're off the hook as far as the 13-year playoff win drought goes. Our defense looked like a top-5 squad the second half of the season, against some pretty stiff competition I might add. And our QB and head coach have taken that ugly monkey off their backs.

Here are some things that Cowboys fans have to look forward to next year:

  1. Cowboys Stadium is the best stadium in the NFL, by far. I encourage anyone that lives within a 500 mile radius of Arlington to check it out. It doesn't matter what type of event you go to, the stadium alone will blow you away. I just hope that it got the attention of some soon-to-be free agents this offseason.
  2. Jerry Jones will make the necessary moves to get his team over the hump. It will be up to the players and the coaches to make it happen next season. Mark my words, as soon as Jerry starts holding people accountable, the Cowboys will return to their glory days of the 90's.
  3. Standout seasons by Jay Ratliff, Mike Jenkins, Miles Austin, Anthony Spencer, and Felix Jones should be the tip of the iceberg. Each one of these guys made huge contributions and where pretty much afterthoughts before the season started. Now they're on the map and it will make game planning against the Cowboys that much more difficult.
  4. Finally, Tony Romo's age is getting up into the area of "Super Bowl" or "Bust" as far as his career's concerned. The added pressure should motivate Romo to work harder this offseason and come into 2010 with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.
Here are some pics of the Cowboys - Eagles playoff from a couple of weeks ago. Sorry it took so long! We had really great seats!

7 comments:

  1. Hey, I didn't mean to diss the "Vaqueros." I just think Favre is rolling with destiny. Ever since he decided to skip training camp, he's had Kazoo on his shoulder blessing him with magic luck. Luck? Just look at the first TD by Rice. If the Dallas corner had looked at the ball at ALL the sucka doesn't fall into Rice's hands. In fact, if that corner had SNEEZED that ball wouldn't have been caught. In fact, that ball probably grazed that corner's NOSE on its way in to Rice's waiting arms. That's destiny. But, yeah, I'm sorry they had to lose. They'll be back. I agree. And that stadium is dope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry my Vikes smashed the Boys so hard. I came to ask your humble opinion on where you think some of my Sooners are going in this draft? Most seem to have Bradford going to Seahawks, Skins, or Bills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, PS, I don't think Romo's age is really an issue at all. I think he's a good quarterback, just not a Super Bowl QB. Just look around the league and you'll find considerably older QB's going to the Super Bowl or potentially going :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to Carlissimo, who still hasn't become a follower..If I remember you correctly, you were always a bit skeptical of new ideas in the world of sports...right? You're right about Favre and Sensabaugh sneezing to break up that TD pass to Sidney Rice. Favre made 3 throws in that game that Romo couldn't even dream making, ever. Josh, I feel bad saying this, but Sammy B is going to be a Redskin next year. In reality it's bad for parties involved, not just Sam. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but NFL teams that spend first round picks on QB's are betting against the house. First round picks should be the game breakers, the speed freaks, or the play makers....not the play callers. I think Bradford will be an average player at the next level, but he's fortunate that the QB class is about as deep as Gilbert Arenas' pockets. Gresham should excel at the next level and Gerald McCoy will be a top-5 pick because DT's are so important to the 3-4 defensive scheme that every NFL team employs these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brotha, I have been following you since you started it. Unfortunately, however, I am technologically challenged and did not figure out how to get a Google User name until tonight.

    As for the Boys, they had a good season. I think it will be interesting to see whether or not their end of season success this year translates to another good year. They don't seem totally one-dimensional like many of the teams that have been winning this year. They just weren't lucky like the Saints with 153 thousand interceptions returned for TD's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I understand what you mean about QBs being taken so early. Most of them are expected to turn around franchises and it's just not that realistic.

    I just have funny keeping track of ex-OU players anymore, that's the whole reason I'm a Vikes fan lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I'm going to put my money according your predictions tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete